Saturday, June 6, 2015

I've Been Your Fool Before Honey...


Tonight's post is a short companion piece to last week's post on bands that I would like to have seen live but didn't get to see. In a recent post by Walter, at his ever excellent A few good times in my life blog, he rightly pointed out how hard it was to watch Blondie in their heyday without focusing on Debbie Harry all the time. The same could be applied to Maria McKee when watching Lone Justice in their prime, as can be seen from the video clip below. Recorded live at The Ritz in New York on September 18th 1985 this showcases the band at their very best. Musically the band are excellent but you cannot keep your eyes off Maria McKee throughout. Sexy, without even trying, her vocals are incredible and the fun she is having on stage is a joy to watch. From the opening chords of a great cover of Fortunate Son the energy is literally bursting off the screen. I have managed to see Maria twice in concert and they were both great gigs, but I would have loved to have seen them round about the time they released their classic debut album and were playing gigs like this.



9 comments:

  1. I know that this will be of no consolation but they were brilliant.

    What you said above goes for the Fall too, not the bit about being sexy without trying but you just can't keep your eyes off Smith which makes it really fucking annoying when he decides to fuck off back stage and deliver the lyrics from there,

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that footage from New York was representative I knew they would be...where did you see them Drew ?
    Totally agree re Smith, first time I saw The Fall I was transfixed on Smith, last time I saw them at The Arches I was getting increasingly pissed off with him the longer the concert went on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. QMU Scott. Do you have the Lone Justice live at the BBC cd? If not send me an email and I will you it.

    If that was the Arches gig in Nov 2012 I was there and it was my last Fall gig, vowed never to go back, It wasn't as bad as the previous two Edinburgh debacles but was bad enough. From all accounts he has been brilliant these past few weeks but he didn't even bother with Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good venue to see them in Drew, seen many great gigs in there including Pixies round about the time of Surfer Rosa. It was indeed the one in 2012, has put me off going to see them again.

      Delete
  4. Cracking video Scott, really enjoyed the music, and the vitality. As for the Fall, well I stopped going even earlier than Drew, it was the 40 minute show at I think the Custard Factory that did it for me. I suppose he did have some sort of presence, but no-one else in all the different line-ups did, or was allowed to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....did I say that there's some great music in that video? Very very good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi George, it is such a good live performance. The energy is incredible, she just seems to be having so much fun up there performing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have given this one multiple viewings the past few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a great live performance Brian, hard to believe she was only 21 when this was recorded.

    ReplyDelete