Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I Saw Two Shooting Stars Last Night....



Today's posting was supposed to be a review of Billy Bragg's gig at The Arches last night. However along with thousands of others I endured an 11 hour journey home from work so did not make the gig. The only positive was that I had a message left on my phone when I did get back letting me know that the gig had been canceled anyway so Billy will just have to wait for another day.

For some unknown reason I have not seen Billy Bragg perform live for about 20 years or so. I saw him a few times in the late 80's and always enjoyed seeing him perform his tunes and the between song banter that was a major point in going to see him. So for that reason and  with the current CONLib "government" in the process of continuing Thatcher's programme of dismantling the country step by step I was very much looking forward to seeing him.

We need artists like Billy Bragg probably more than at any time in the last 30 years, not necessarily aligning themselves with any one political party - like all the fools that were taken in by Blair - and although pop stars cannot change the world they can bring information to the attention of the masses through their support of worthy causes such as student tuition fees.

Roll on next year when Bragg returns....


2 comments:

  1. I heard that Billy was also stuck on the M8. It had been a few years since I had seen him, the last time at the old fruitmarket but there was absolutely no chance I was trying to get into Glasgow last night. If it had been The Fall that would have been a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed that you may be a slight fan of Mark E Smith and Co...

    ReplyDelete