Monday, February 6, 2012

Better Late Than Never....


There was an almost reverential silence when Kenny Anderson and Jon Hopkins took to the stage at Glasgow's ABC a couple of weeks ago. I had been looking forward to this gig for a while although I wasn't sure how the Mercury nominated album would translate live.

Any concerns were swiftly allayed when they started with the wonderful piano instrumental First Watch. Poignant,thought provoking and just simply beautiful. One of the many highlights of the night followed next with, for me, the highlight of the album, John Taylor's Month Away. Romantic, powerful and effortless came to mind when witnessing this track performed live. The audience was transfixed and with good reason. They then went on to play the rest of Diamond Mine and the crowd was lost in the beauty of these songs with Kenny's plaintive singing and guitar playing being complemented by Jon's delicately understated electronics and some nice backing vocals from none other than KT Tunstall.

With the album done and dusted, the duo played a selection of KC songs, punctuated by the Fife man’s brilliant banter and a great cover of The Only Living Boy In New York before finishing the night on a high with Kenny's own personal fave, My Favourite Girl.

They were only playing a few select dates to tour Diamond Mine and if they decide to play any more dates this year and you haven't seen them perform the album live I would strongly suggest making a date in your diary.

King Creosote and Jon Hopkins - John Taylor's Month Away

2 comments:

  1. That was a gig that I wish I had got off my arse and got my shit together for.

    Funnily enough, this 7" single fell through the door this morning and I had My Favourite Girl pegged in for later this week. Spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mean to labour the point but you missed a blinder Drew. I nearly sold my ticket the day before but so glad I didn't.

    ReplyDelete