Sunday, June 22, 2014

New York City Girl...


Not sure if I have ever posted a disco song on Spools before and although I am not a great fan of disco there are some songs that defy their genre and are just great tunes, no matter how they are labelled.

One such track is Odyssey's 1977 classic "Native New Yorker", one of the most enduring tracks from that era. I just recently discovered that it is a cover of a Frankie Valli song from the same year but the New Yorkers made it their own to the extent that most people just think of it as an Odyssey song. I always think the sax at the start could have come straight out of a Scorcese film in the 70's.

Native New Yorker

10 comments:

  1. Man Alive Scott, you'll be posting Instant Replay by Dan Hartmann next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers George, that's tomorrow's post sorted. May do a disco week, was thinking of "Feels Like I'm In Love" for later in the week ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nowt wrong with a bit of disco, it's just early house music

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I put in a request for Le Freak?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drew - although not a big fan of disco I think there may be a few more tunes that I could post about so this disco posting could have legs
    CC - Le Freak will be coming soon...never thought when I started this blog back in 2011 that I would be getting requests for disco tunes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can we have Tina Charles' "I love to love" please

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to post If I Can't Have You in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who'd have thought a disco post would be so popular...may have to re-think the direction of the blog ? George, you can have Tina Charles, after Dan Hartman...
    Drew - had forgotten how good "If I Can't Have You" was until re-watching Saturday Night Fever a few weeks back

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have roused (or should that be aroused) the Portuguese chapter of the Tina Charles Fan Club Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I believe CC. I never thought when I first posted the Cramps back in 2011 that one of my most popular posts would be for Odyssey. It is indeed a strange world...

    ReplyDelete