Sunday, June 15, 2014

Some Sunday Soul...


One of the most distinctive of all soul singers is the incomparable Irma Thomas. Understated and bereft of any vocal stylings, Irma just has an honesty to her voice that just makes you believe every lyric that she sings. There is a very good reason why she is known as "The Soul Queen Of New Orleans".

Although still recording and performing today, for me, her best work are the tracks she recorded for the Kent label  in  the 60's. There is a terrific compilation of her Kent recordings available that showcases what a truly great singer she is. I could easily have picked any of the 24 tracks to post today but have opted for these two that may not be as well known as classics like "Time Is On My Side".

Somebody Told You
Times Have Changed

2 comments:

  1. I've got that Kent record Scott and it is indeed a cracker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job Soul Anime

    ReplyDelete