Monday, October 31, 2011

One Year Old Today....


'Twas one year ago on Halloween 2010 that I done my first post on Spools Paradise and although I haven't posted as often as I would have hoped I have managed 127 posts so far which is not a bad effort for my first year. A large part of this was due to the fact that I have been spending in the region of 4 hours each day travelling to and from work but having got a position closer to home now hopefully that will change.

My first post was about the first band that I saw play live and seemed appropriate for the day that I started the blog. The Cramps are not a band I listen to that often at home but they will always command a special place as they remind me of a certain time in my life and of events and friendships never forgotten.

So this year I have opted once again to go for the band who fused their love of horror B-movies with rockabilly and surf rock, and whose influence can still be heard in many bands today. The Cramps' appeal was largely based on their pulverising live shows and I was fortunate enough to see them live on two occasions and both times they were a welcome reminder of what real rock'n'roll is all about.

Sadly, as we all know, the great Lux Interior is no longer with us and although they became a parody of themselves later on there is no doubting that they were all about keeping it pure, raw and minimal and live at least they stuck to their rockabilly roots and never diluted their impact.

Happy Halloween one and all.



The Cramps - You Got Good Taste

5 comments:

  1. great stuff, great track and clip. Congrats on reaching one year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Scott. You should celebrate by buying the lovely new Cramps singles boxset.

    http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/products/TheCramps-FileUnderSacredMusicEarlySingles1978817BoxSet-Munster-79774.html

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adam and Drew - and thanks for taking the time to read and comment on the blog throughout the last year. As you know both your blogs were an inspiration for me to start my own. At least I know someone is out there looking at it and hopefully enjoying it.

    Drew - I have already dropped a few less than subtle hints about The Cramps box set so hopefully the message has got through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only got to see The Cramps once, but what a once! A real eye opener. Some guy climbing the light rigging, the costumes and masks of those attending, the blood spattered all over my mates T=shirt at the end, but most of all, the band themselves. Sadly missed. Good luck in the new job
    TheBoyWilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. the boy wilson - Thanks for the comment. They were the first band I saw live and still to this day easily one of the best. You couldn't fail but to have a great time at a Cramps gig.

    ReplyDelete