Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lou Reed 1972 - 2013


I have just heard the very sad news that one of the most important and influential artists in musical history has died today. Very few musicians redefined the sound and style of rock music to the extent that Lou Reed did, especially on those first three Velvet Underground albums of the late 60's. There are vast amounts of my record collection that have the influence of Lou Reed stamped all over them.

In today's earlier post I mentioned that I did not go to The Sex Pistols' reunion gigs. I did, however, go to the Edinburgh Playhouse in the early 90's to see the re-formed Velvet Underground and, like a lot of people I knew, was reticent about seeing them but am so glad I got to see one of the greatest rock 'n' roll bands of all time perform live.

He was a visionary who took risks and his influence on music will never fade.

Rest In Peace Lou Reed.

The Gift
Pale Blue Eyes
Good Evening Mr Waldheim

No comments:

Post a Comment