Sunday, October 9, 2011

Hand It Over....


There's a lot of brilliant 60's/70's soul singers : Solomon Burke, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, ZZ Hill and Jackie Wilson to name just a few....add the name of Chuck Jackson to the list.

Although Chuck Jackson may never have reached the fame of some of his contemporaries and remains one of the the greatest unknown soul singers there's no denying this guy could sing.

In 1957 he joined The Del-Vikings, one of rock and roll’s first interracial groups. He was with them until 1959 before starting a solo career. It was while he was performing as an opening act at the Apollo Theater that he was discovered by the headliner, Jackie Wilson. Scepter Records signed Jackson, and he had his first big hit with “I Don’t Want To Cry” in 1961. The following year “Any Day Now” was released on Wand, a Scepter subsidiary, and Jackson’s future was assured. Later in the ’60s he bought his contract from Scepter and moved to Motown Records where he had more hits.

He was lost in the shuffle during his four years at Motown, and he's barely been heard from since, although he remains a firm favorite on the Northern Soul scene.

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over

2 comments:

  1. I have a copy of Any Day Now, it cost me a fortune one sleep deprived Sunday when away at a northern weekender

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth every penny I'm sure. I'm fairly new to the talents of Chuck Jackson. A mate recently lent me a Best Of and I was hooked. Not sure why I had not really known of him before...

    ReplyDelete