Saturday, November 2, 2013

Splash One...Texas Fever



Having a couple of hours to spare this afternoon I went trawling the internet for some inspiration for today's posting and came across some footage from mid 80's Glasgow club night Splash One.

Every Friday night, back in '86/'87, about a dozen of us then schoolkids would get the 18 bus, to escape from the drudgery of East Kilbride, to "the big city" and head to 46 West George Street, home to legendary Glasgow club, Daddy Warbucks, clad in our leather breeks, polo necks, winklepickers and obligatory Raybans.

From memory I think the nights we went to were called Texas Fever. I have a feeling that it was Splash One presents....Texas Fever but that might be wrong. Certainly from bits that I have read on the web Splash One had loads of gigs from the likes of The Loft and The Mary Chain and sadly I did not see any of those infamous gigs, so maybe it was called Splash One and then became Texas Fever later on when we started going.

Hopefully someone who used to go might be able to clarify whether it was called Splash One or Texas Fever. I wasn't paying that much attention to the name at the time. If I had known them how legendary those night would later be I would have drank less and paid more attention.

It was a huge musical education for all of us in the days when you had to search for music that was not on the radio. It opened my eyes to the likes of The Stooges, The Velvets, The Byrds and loads more.


1 comment:

  1. Texas Fever was aran by a few of us after Splash One...Marc

    ReplyDelete