Sunday, May 18, 2014

Some Sunday Soul...


A little bit of Sunday Motown from 1962 from the supremely talented Mary Wells. Written and produced by Smokey, on first listen "Two Lovers" appears to be about having your cake and eating it but listen closer and the song cleverly reveals the "Two Lovers" to be one and the same person. There is a very good reason why Bob Dylan once described Smokey as "America's greatest living poet".

All the more remarkable is that the girl with the golden voice recorded this track when she was only 19 years old. Mary will be forever remembered for the wonderful "My Guy", but there was so much more to her music than that, as this track shows.

Two Lovers

5 comments:

  1. Nicely written post, Scott. This is one of my favourite Mary Wells' songs.

    (As you do have your email posted, I'll send an invite along to my private blog.)

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie. Look forward to having a good look at your blog. I have a feeling you are far more of an expert on vintage soul than I am, so will hopefully hear many songs I have not heard before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - I'm blushing, Scott! Seriously, that's much too kind. I did collect vintage 45s (and 78s) for a couple of decades, and worked in one of North America's best shops for serious record collectors, but am now content to just pursue the 'sounds.'

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, as you can tell from the header on the blog my first love is "boys with guitars" - Springsteen, The Clash, The Bunnymen etc and although I love my 60's Soul, Northern Soul and Reggae there are many people on blogland, you included, who know more about these genres...so let the lessons begin..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard this before Scott, and what a good track. You can tell it was written by Smokey Robinson.

    ReplyDelete