Friday, January 23, 2015

Go On Go On Your Choice Is Made...

 

Swiss Adam has just finished a week of excellent posts on Joy Division and New Order, which got me to thinking of my fave New Order covers. That is other people covering New Order tunes, not New Order covering other band's songs. Anyway, the 15th of July 1985 saw the release of a great cover of New Order's Dreams Never End. Retitled Inbetween Days it saw The Cure's first foray into the US Billboard chart, reaching the dizzy heights of Number 99. The best New Order song ever recorded by a band that wasn't New Order, it is one of the great pop songs of the 80's and was the track that started me on a lifelong love of The Cure.

In Between Days

8 comments:

  1. Did you have the big hair Scott?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowhere near as much as Robert Smith, although wasn't averse to a bit of crimping my hair when I was 16ish...Is that a phase we all went through in the mid 80's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should probably have kept that to myself, maybe it was just an East Kilbride thing !!

      Delete
  3. Good call on the comparison. Both great songs. Let's just all remember who got there first. Although I personally give the edge to Dreams Never End... I can't believe I'm about to type this... The Head on the Door is a better album than Movement. It's really the only Cure album I love all the way through. OK, I'm ready. Let 'er rip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree Brian, Movement has its moments but The Head On The Door is a better album. I would go as far as to say it is the best Cure album. Although it goes without saying that New Order are the better band....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, We're going to get along just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Movement isn't the best NO album is it, but dreams never end is ace. Never really got into The Cure but this is a good song.
    Swiss Adam

    ReplyDelete