Sunday, May 24, 2015

Some Sunday 80's Soul


The header for today's post is almost a contradiction in terms due to the distinct lack of quality soul music that was released in the 80's. One of the exceptions was View From The Hill's classic soul ballad No Conversation. I have always loved the interplay between the male and female lead vocalists, which together are just beautiful to listen to. Individually they are great, together they are just stunning. Someone may correct me here, but I seem to recall that the sax solo comes courtesy of none other than Courtney Pine. I don't know much about the band, apart from this track, but if their other material is anywhere near as good as No Conversation I would love to hear more. Still sounds incredibly fresh and timeless almost 30 years after it was released.

No Conversation

3 comments:

  1. Not totally convinced after my first listen Scott says the man who posted Guest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with CC, Scott - this one isn't speaking to me personally - but that's one of the wonderful things about music. Different songs touch different people in different ways - and that makes it interesting enough for me to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CC and Marie, admittedly it is not on a par with anything from the classic eras of soul, but it did stick out in a time when most so called soul music was pretty vapid and totally lacking in anything approaching soul.

    ReplyDelete