Monday, September 7, 2020

Post Punk


I've often been asked in which era would I like to have been around in when I started going to gigs. Before I move onto that I was lucky that when I started going to gigs there were so many fantastic bands to see live. I started going to gigs when I was sixteen years old and within a few months of my first one I had seen the likes of The Ramones, New Order and The Stranglers at The Barrowland alongside bands like The Shop Assistants, The Wedding Present and The Pastels at smaller venues, usually one of the Glasgow Universities or Glasgow Tech. For the next few years barely a week or two went by without going to see someone perform live.

Much as I love that I saw many of these bands when they were just starting out, there is one period in particular for me that would have been the perfect one for me to have been about sixteen in and that is around 1978. Post Punk, New Wave, whatever you want to label it this is the period for me, followed by 2 Tone, The Mod Revival and early Orange Juice. The roll call includes the likes of Gang Of Four, Public Image, The Cure, The Bunnymen, Joy Division, The Fall and Magazine, The Specials, The Jam and Postcard Records.

For me, to have seen those bands in their early shows would have been something pretty special. That period from about '78 - '82 produced so mant great bands whose influence is still being felt today. Although short lived, here in Scotland we had two of the most influential independent labels of that time in Fast Product and Postcard. Without Fast would we have had Factory? Perhaps, but it was ceratainly an influence on Tony Wilson and Co. Fast boss Bob Last even jokingly said that Factory Records was Fast13.

Only twelve singles were released on Fast (including three samplers), but what a collection of singles. The Mekons, The Human League, Gang Of Four, Joy Division and The Dead Kennedys amongst them. Not too shabby for an independent label from Edinburgh. It may have only lasted a year or so but it set the template for others to follow. Just as Fast was winding down, over in Glasgow we had The Sound Of Young Scotland courtesy of the wonderful Postcard Records. Founded by the inimitable Alan Horne, initially as a vehicle for Orange Juice, it had a huge influence later on with the likes of the C86 bands. Like its East Coast predecessor, Postcard only released eleven singles from Orange Juice, Josef K, The Go Betweens and Aztec Camera before imploding.

One of the best descriptions I recall seeing to describe Post Punk was : "these were musicians interested in seeing where music could go". That seems a fairly decent description to me. Punk had limitations for most of the bands involved, whereas the bands that followed seemed to have no limitations, with much of the music still sounding like nothing before or since. 

It would have been great to have been sixteen at the start of R'n'R in the 50's, or the 60's when the world was introduced to the sounds of The Beatles, The Kinks and The Stones, or the early to mid 70's when Bowie was at his best, or '76/'77 when Punk was at its height, but '78 would have been the optimum year for me.

In saying all that I was incredibly lucky to have been sixteen when I was and to be in one of the best cities in the world for bands to play in. 

 



8 comments:

  1. Halcyion days Scott
    An excellent 500th post and great to see you back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC, it's only taken me almost 10 years to reach the 500th post. Even The Blue Nile were quicker than that...

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see you back here! You saw some great bands early on, sounds like you were 16 at a really good time. But a thought-provoking question too and I think you're right about that '78-'82 period. I turned 15 in '78, it was my first year of going to proper gigs, and mostly dominated by punk ones, but in '79 that expanded a bit so for me '79 was a great year to turn 16 too! Weirdly though I was into a lot of post-punk bands I didn't see as many as I wish I had now. I would love to turn the clock back and address that...
    I would also love to have been 16 in the mid '60s and been part of the music scene then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C, was a good time to be 16. So many bands would play Glasgow, gave us the opportunity to see all those bands. That whole period from '78 through to '82 produced so much of my favourite music, what a great year for you to turn 16. The mid 60's would also have been quite the time to turn 16, just as the British bands were taking over the world.

      Delete
  3. Fitting Blue Nile jab, Scott. I'm with you. Would have loved to been old enough to go to shows in your neck of the woods around '78-'82, but it sounds like you did alright for yourself. Sure wish I could say I had seen Shop Assistants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate Brian that I got to see most of the C86 type bands like The Shop Assistants, The Bodines etc. It was a good time to be 16/17 in Glasgow as these bands were playing alomost weekly.

      Delete
  4. Happy 500th post.

    It's a question I have asked myself a few times and of course I would want to have been in San Francisco in 1969 to have been present at the Velvets gigs at the Matrix. However, I was fortunate enough to have gone to gigs early enough to have seen Motorhead at what I believe to have been their peak and from then on everything from the Mary Chain to Chumbawamba but what clinches it for me that the decade I grew up in was to me the best was Acid House, I would not sacrifice missing those days even for the Reed, Tucker, Morrison and Yule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drew, should reach post #1000 by 2030 at this pace.

      I had a few friends back then Drew who were into the Acid House scene, it just wasn't really for me. Would however have loved to have seen The Velvets at The Matrix. Did see them in Edinburgh on their reunion tour, but not quite the same really.

      Delete