Thursday, September 3, 2020

Revolutionary Spirit


I've never really known where my love of music came from. Neither my mum, dad or older brother were that into music when I was growing up. It was unusual to hear much music in the house, apart from the occasional Crystal Gayle or Johnny Cash album that my parents would put on. I do recall at Christmas I would get the latest Jam or Blondie albums (usually from my grandparents) and my brother would get the latest Police album. So my brother did listen to music, but didn't really pursue that into adulthood. Whereas I couldn't get enough of it, and haven't stopped buying/listening to it since. Any pocket money I got went straight into the coffers of Impulse in East Kibride and as soon as I was able to I started a paper round with the primary aim of being able to buy music. As the 80's progressed most of the music I was hearing was via Peel and Kid Jensen. I pretty much organised my life round the radio and couldn't wait to get under the covers at 10pm and get my headphones in to hear what new delights Peel had in store for us. At my side was a reading light and pad and pen so I could write down the songs I would be asking for at Impulse at the weekend. As with most music obsessives I can pinpoint most times in my life to certain songs, but there will always be something special about these early tunes I heard/bought that started that lifelong love of music.

One of the earliest records I remember hearing on Peel was a one that has remained an all time favourite, the mighty Revolutionary Spirit. Still a cult favourite that many thought at the time would elevate The Wild Swans alongside their contemporaries Echo And The Bunnymen, it is also a track that reminds me each time I listen to it why I fell in love with music in the first place. 

Just  noticed that this is my 499th post on the blog, will have to think of something special for the next one...




3 comments:

  1. Now there's a song I've not heard for 35 years or so. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, absolutely brilliant record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated congratulations to you, sir. I have stuck with the Wild Swans through thick (this single) and thin (many think Bringing Home the Ashes, including Paul, but I quite liked it). Our reward for this dedication was The Coldest Winter For A Hundred Years. Paul finally made his masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete