Sunday, March 1, 2015

Some Sunday Soul...


Blessed with one of the sweetest soul voices you will ever hear, Joe Tex was never a showy singer. If anything he, at times, sounded so relaxed and playful that you could imagine that singing came as easy to him as making a cup of tea and that he was born just to sing. That may be one of the reasons that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Where others were whooping and hollering Joe was doing his own inimitable thing in that unique style that could only be Joe Tex. For over ten years he never managed to make a hit record until he signed to Dial in the mid 60's and was paired with the wonderful musicians at Muscle Shoals where he recorded some of the best soul music of the latter half of the 60's, starting off with the Southern Soul classic Hold What You've Got. Quite why all the records released prior to that on labels such as King, Ace and Checker were not successful is another of life's many mysteries. Perhaps he was ahead of his time in shaping soul music and the public just took a few years to catch up.

I Believe I'm Gonna Make It

5 comments:

  1. Joe Tex was seriously underrated - but not in these quarters.
    Great stuff Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a bit of Joe Tex. It's probably a bit obvious but my favourite is Show Me. a song that I cannot help to move to. I suspect even if I had been slipped some ketamine and out of it and that crack was played I would wake from my slumber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how I feel, listening to Joe Tex makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific song, and a great singer, Scott. His delivery somehow conveys an underlying humour yet great sincerity in many of his songs. Although I Believe I'm Gonna Make It is not one withg an undelrying thread of fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. He does seem to have that rare ability to make you feel better that few other singers can do. Seriously underrated but what a singer...

    ReplyDelete