Sunday, October 23, 2022

Into My Arms


I'm always drawn to lyrics that speak to me on some level, whether they are about love. life, politics or whatever else. As long as I connect to them in some way they have done their job.

I've always been fascinated by the lyrics of Nick Cave who, for me, is on of the great modern day lyricists. The imagery in much of his songwriting is incredible and I've always found a resonance in many of his love songs, in particular Into My Arms. A beautiful, melancholic love song that goes straight to the heart. Cloaked in religious imagery this is one of those tracks that just gets me every time I listen to it. 

At its heart a song about loss and the sorrow that ensues, there is an emotional quality that few other songwriters can match. Reminding us that even in the darkest of times we are not alone, there is a good reason why Cave himself treasures this song so much. 

A beautiful piano led melody that speaks to people in a way that is universal and is rightly revered as one of his most beautiful songs with an opening line that draws you in from the off, this is songwriting of the highest order that Cave performed privately at the funeral of Michael Hutchence. 




No comments:

Post a Comment